I began my rebuild when I did a compression test and noticed I had poor compression in cylinders 2-6 (about 142 psi, the bottom of the service limit). Cylinder 1 head 160 psi. A leakdown test showed leakage into each adjacent cylinder. Of course my engine also had the oil consumption problem (1 quart every 1000 miles) that every M54 engine has, which is caused by the oil rings which wear down prematurely (the M52TU used different oil rings which did not have this problem). There was also coolant loss, which I didn’t measure precisely.
If you want to see my excel spread sheet of all my parts and tools and the prices I found click here:
This is the timing tool kit I bought from eBay (probably gonna be out of stock forever):
M54 piston rings with M52TU oil control rings:
Partially NPR (Nippon Piston Rings), made in japan, and partially Grant, made in USA.
This video is for entertainment purposes only. 50sKid assumes no liability for any repairs or modifications performed by the viewer as a result of the information contained in this video.