WOODWARD hydraulic governor function and crosssectional view of 2400hp and 4500hp locomotive.
Functions of Governor :
1. For starting the diesel engine and bringing to idle speed during cranking.
2. To effect the engine speed changes according to TH duly controlling the fuel supply and the engine.
3. Maintains a constant engine speed for a particular notch regardless of load.
4. Prevents the overloading of diesel engine through LCR and engine bogging down is avoided.
5. Normal shut down of the diesel engine is done by the Governor through STOP or MUSD switches.
6. Brings the engine to shut down during abnormal conditions such as low lube oil pressure, engine over speed, low water, etc and protects the engine from damages.
7. Brings the engine to idle during power grounds, hot engine, train partings, emergency brake applications for safety of the engine and the train.
8. Acts as an agent to match the generator demand with the engine capability.
Please Subscribe the Channel for regular updates,